There are options to make the auto-play feature active on specific internet connections—Mobile Data and Wi-Fi versus just on Wi-Fi connections or you can simply turn it off. This specific connection type option is available in mobile apps only. For your desktop/laptop the settings are different and they apply only when you access the website through a computer.
Here are the different steps you need to follow to disable videos from auto-playing on Facebook:
For Smartphones (Android and iOS devices)
- In your Facebook app, click on the menu button which is represented by the three horizontal lines.
- Under Help & Settings, tap on App Settings.
- Under General, tap on the option Autoplay.
- In Choose When Videos Autoplay, select the appropriate option:
- On Mobile Data and Wi-Fi Connections: This always plays the video as long as you have an internet connection.
- On Wi-Fi Connections Only: Only play when you are connected to Wi-Fi.
- Never Autoplay Videos: To turn it off completely.
In a Personal Computer
- Open up Facebook.com and make sure that you are signed in.
- Click on the little drop down arrow on the top-right corner of the website content, to bring up options.
- Open the one that says Settings.
- Select the Videos option from the left, which is the last option.
- On the Auto-Play Videos option you can choose between Default, On and Off.
- You will want to switch to the option that says Off and the changes will be saved.